Family Sponsorship

Author: Best Migration Canada |

If you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you can sponsor your:

  • Spouse,
  • Common-law or conjugal partner, or
  • Dependent children
  • Parents

to immigrate to Canada.

If you sponsor a family member to immigrate to Canada, you must provide proof that you can:

  • Meet basic needs—such as food, clothing and shelter—for yourself and your family,
  • Support your relative financially and
  • Make sure your spouse or relative does not need to ask for financial help from the government.

Study in Canada

Find out about common-Law and spousal sponsorship for immigration to Canada.

Canadian citizens and permanent residents may sponsor their spouse or common-law partner, parents, grandparents, for immigration to Canada. If successful, the sponsored person obtains permanent resident status, allowing the couple or relatives (or family, if applicable) to build their lives in Canada.

  • September, 2020 update: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has increased the number of decision makers on spousal applications in Canada by 66%, to process spousal applications more quickly and reduce couples’ wait times. Learn more here.

The common-law / spousal sponsorship Canada immigration program is a part of the Family Class category, through which Canada welcomes a substantial number of new permanent residents annually.

If you are interested in this pathway to permanent residence, either as the sponsor or sponsored person, there is much to consider. Important considerations include:

  • What is your civil status?
  • Are you living in the same location at the time of the application?
  • Is the sponsor a Canadian citizen, or is the sponsor a permanent resident?

Study in Canada

Both the sponsor and sponsored person must be approved by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) in order for the sponsored person to receive Canadian permanent residence.