Work Permit

Author: Best Migration Canada |


In order to work on a temporary basis in Canada, a foreign skilled workers must have a temporary offer of employment from a Canadian employer. If you or a family member are applying for a PR card, you can also apply via an ‘Open Work'.

If you are looking for a job, certain positions in Canada may require a person to know their National Occupation Classification Code (NOC Code). This code is used to classify all types of employment by Canadian standards.

There are four basic steps to getting a temporary Work Visa

  • Employer applies for labour market opinion (if necessary)
  • Employer extends temporary job offer to foreign workers
  • Foreign skilled worker applies for work permit
  • Work permit is issued

What Type of Work Permits Does Canada Have?

Here are the two types of work permits Canada has to offer. Depending on your qualifications and occupation your job may fall under two different categories of work permits.

There are two main types of work permits, the Open Work Permit and the Employer Specific Work Permit.

Immigration Consultant Scarborough

An open work permit is a work permit that is not job-specific. Because it is not job-specific, you will not need the following when you apply for your work permit:

Some of the types of work permits Canada considers to be OWP are the:

  • Temporary Work Permits for Spouses or Partners;
  • Post Graduation Work Permit;
  • Temporary Resident Permit;
  • World Youth Program Permit;
  • Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program Spousal Permit;
  • Regular Open Work Permit; and
  • Birding Open Work Permit

An employer-specific work permit allows you to work according to the conditions on your work permit, which include:

  • The name of the employer you can work for
  • How long you can work
  • The location where you can work (if applicable)

Immigration Consultant Scarborough

If you are unsure about whether you can qualify under any of these programs, just complete this contact form to speak to an immigration Consultant. They will answer any questions you have about the application process and how to move forward with your application.